As the coronavirus spreads, technology can help humanity fight the novel virus — but it could also amplify some of the pandemic's most devastating effects:
- Coronavirus: Actually, we don't have an app for that.
Contact-tracing technology may have limited effectiveness, experts warn.
(Politico, April 23, 2020)
- Coronavirus triggers soul-searching on privacy in Germany. Experts warn that decades-old standards could suffer lasting damage as the country tackles the pandemic.
(Politico, April 9, 2020)
- Europe shares code for new coronavirus warning app.
The software scans Bluetooth signals between mobile phones to detect when infections are possible.
(Politico, April 1, 2020)
- The coronavirus fake news pandemic sweeping WhatsApp. Falsehoods about the virus are spreading widely on the Facebook-owned messaging app.
(Politico, March 16, 2020)
- Donate data to health authorities to fight virus, says digital epidemiologist. Tapping into digital traces could give authorities valuable insights into the virus.
(Politico, March 13, 2020)