Technology is power — and those with expertise in cutting-edge AI will increasingly dominate the global economy:
- Germany vs. the internet. The country's NetzDG law and its fight against online hate speech runs into trouble: privacy. (Politico, October 1, 2020)
- Wary of China, the West closes ranks to set rules for artificial intelligence. But Washington and Brussels are far from seeing eye to eye on how to regulate the technology.
(Politico, September 6, 2020)
- Germany, France launch Gaia-X platform in bid for ‘tech sovereignty.’ The cloud initiative aims to provide companies with an alternative to Big Tech. Skeptics say it may empower the giants instead.
(Politico, June 6, 2020)
- Inside Amazon’s German AI research empire. The US juggernaut is tapping German researchers to crack some of the toughest problems in artificial intelligence — to the dismay of politicians.
(Politico, May 20, 2019)
- Lisbon bids for tech talent — with EU passports as a prize. The capital’s powerful lure for foreign tech entrepreneurs: Create enough jobs here, and you can get Portuguese residency.
(Politico, August 9, 2018)
- Germany’s falling behind on tech, and Merkel knows it. Party politics and cultural inertia bedevil efforts to shift into high gear on artificial intelligence.
(Politico, July 23, 2018)