Lethal autonomous weapons, or killer robots, which use AI to learn from their experience and can decide when and whom to kill, are set to revolutionize warfare — with potentially fatal consequences. Here's some of my reporting:
- The Buenos Aires Plan. Activists have set their eyes on Argentina to stop killer robots.
(Politico 'AI: Decoded,' November 6, 2019)
- How killer robots overran the UN. Militaries and manufacturers are working on weapons that could one day be deployed to fight on their own.
(Politico, February 12, 2019)
- US, Russia block formal talks on whether to ban killer robots. UN meeting concludes without moving closer to binding international rules.
(Politico, April 4, 2019)
- France, Germany under fire for failing to back killer robots ban. Berlin follows Paris to shy away from tough rules, campaigners say.
(Politico, March 28, 2019)
- Attack on the killer robots. Rise of weapons that can think for themselves alarms human rights activists — and soldiers.
(Politico, February 14, 2018)