As artificial intelligence matures, governments around the world — from authoritarian regimes to democratic governments — are looking into making the technology available as tools of surveillance to their law enforcement:
- Meteorologists of violence. Researchers are using AI to predict outbreaks of conflict.
(Politico, March 15, 2020)
- Europe’s migration crisis seen from orbit. Activists hope to combine AI and satellite imagery to save lives in the Mediterranean.
(Politico, January 19, 2020)
- AI experts call to curb mass surveillance. The EU’s top AI experts say regulation should focus on high-risk technology.
(Politico, June 24, 2019)
- Big Brother in Berlin. As Germany dabbles in state surveillance, facial-recognition technology raises privacy concerns.
(Politico, September 13, 2018)
- Germany fears Russia stole information to disrupt election. Fears of hacking has German lawmakers worried ahead of September’s ballot.
(Politico, March 20, 2017)